Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Leeds firms set to lock horns ahead of crucial England World Cup clash

Football crazy staff at companies in Leeds can get the perfect World Cup warm-up by taking part in the annual Striker 5 Corporate Cup.

For the first time ever, firms across the city can sign up for the hotly-contested tournament on June 14, which takes place just hours before England’s crunch World Cup opener against Italy.

This year will be the first time the five-a-side cup has been open to teams from outside Leeds City Council.

Councillor Lucinda Yeadon, Leeds City Council’s executive member for leisure and skills, threw down the gauntlet and challenged companies to get their squads together and prove who has the city’s top team.

She said: “With World Cup fever set to grip the city, we’ve decided to open up the Striker 5 tournament to firms across Leeds so everyone has a chance to get involved.

“The tournament is a great opportunity for staff to get together for a bit of team building and friendly competition so I hope as many firms as possible sign up and see if they have what it takes to win the trophy.

“The Corporate Cup takes place on the same day as England’s opening World Cup game too, so it’s the perfect way to get in the mood to cheer on the Three Lions.”

Now in its eighth year, the tournament will see participating teams clash at the John Charles Centre for Sport.

The competition is open to everyone and each team must have at least one female member of the squad on the pitch throughout the whole game.

Teams can have no more than eight players.

The competition kicks off on Saturday, June 14 at 10am and is expected to finish at around 2pm.

Entry costs £35 per team and the closing date for entries is Friday, June 6.

To enter a team or for more information, log on to www.leeds.gov.uk/sports/Pages/Football-leagues-at-JCCS.aspx

ENDS

For more details, contact:
Stuart Robinson
Communications Officer
Leeds City Council
Tel: 0113 224 3937
Email: stuart.robinson@leeds.gov.uk
www.leeds.gov.uk

Prosecutions highlight need to tackle waste

Recent prosecutions have highlighted resident’s responsibilities for dealing with waste and the council’s continued no nonsense approach to flytipping.

A landlord with a property in Garforth and a resident from south Leeds found themselves before magistrates last week.

Neil McVey of Malt Kiln Lane, Appleton Roebuck, York left a sofa outside his rental property in April 2013. The council stepped in to remove it following a complaint.

McVey received a one year conditional discharge and ordered to pay costs £806.16 plus a £15 victim surcharge.

In May 2013, the council received a complaint that rubbish, old carpet, bedding and food waste had been left to rot in the front garden of a house on Sissons Lane, Middleton.

Council officers gave the occupier, Anne-Marie Keenoy, advice and contacts to have the rubbish removed. Her failure to do so resulted in Keenoy being served a legal notice requiring her to move the waste within 28 days.

This notice wasn’t complied with either so a £100 fixed penalty noticed was issued. As this wasn’t paid, Keenoy was fined £200 by magistrates and she must now also pay costs of £964.50 and a £25 victim surcharge.

Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment, said:

“As well as our own services, there are a range of organisations in Leeds that are only too willing to help people re-use what they no longer want or need. We actively encourage people to make use of these services so we can stop things wasting in landfill or being dumped illegally.

“Our staff are happy to give their advice and support to ensure people understand their responsibilities and at what point we will step in to enforce. These cases clearly demonstrate that we won’t let Leeds become a dumping ground.”

Information on re-use and waste services can be found at www.leeds.gov.uk/unwanteditems.

For media enquiries please contact:
Amanda Burns, Leeds City Council press office (0113) 395 1577
email: amanda.l.burns@leeds.gov.uk

ENDS