Staff from Wrap Up Leeds are getting into the Olympic spirit with their second long distance run to try to get as many people as possible signed up for free insulation.
Having already completed Age UK’s Wrap Up and Run in March, the dedicated team are now in the final stages of training for the Leeds Half Marathon on May 13.
Emma Kovaleski, Liz Henry and Susannah Williams will be running the whole 13 miles and will be joined by six other colleagues from Yorkshire Energy Services who’ll be competing in the coveted corporate relay.
The part-time athletes but full-time energy efficiency enthusiasts will be running in their Wrap Up Leeds gear so they’ll be easily spotted in the crowd.
Liz Henry, marketing and events assistant from Yorkshire Energy Services said:
“The more people that find out about Wrap Up Leeds, the better. We’ve put an Olympic effort into our training so we hope to finish in a good time.
“We’d love it if people could give us a shout or a wave if they see us and use it as a reminder to log on to the Wrap Up Leeds website to register for free insulation.”
Leeds home owners and people renting privately can have their loft insulated or their cavity walls filled with mineral wool insulation at no cost by Wrap Up Leeds. Even if a loft is already insulated below 160mm, it can be topped up to the maximum recommended 270mm for free.
Once wrapped up, people can expect to save up to £300 a year on their fuel bills.
Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for environmental services said:
“The team really are going above and beyond the call of duty to try to get as many people signed up for their free insulation as possible. I wish them the best of luck.”
Councillor David Blackburn, chair of the council’s cross-party environment and climate change working group said:
“If Liz, Susannah and Emma enter any more races they will have run a few marathons by the time we’ve insulated 15,000 homes in September. I’d like to thank them for making sure that Wrap Up Leeds is represented at some of the most high profile events in the city. And of course, good luck to them all.”
Wrap Up Leeds is a partnership between Leeds Council and Yorkshire Energy Services. As well as letting people know about the amazing offer available, the team are raising funds for Yorkshire Energy Services’ chosen charity, Practical Action.
Anyone who owns their own home or rents it privately can apply online for their free insulation at www.wrapupleeds.co.uk or by calling 0800 052 0071.
The 0800 number is free from most landline providers, but may not be free from mobile networks. If you would prefer, please call Wrap Up Leeds on 01484 351 779.
Anyone who wishes to make a donation to the team can do so on the Wrap Up Leeds Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/teams/wrapupleeds.
Notes to editors:
About Wrap Up Leeds
• Wrap Up Leeds is run in partnership by Leeds City Council and Yorkshire Energy Services, with funding from EDF Energy.
• Wrap Up Leeds is available to all homeowners and privately rented tenants (where landlord’s permission has been granted) in the Leeds City Council area only.
• Free cavity wall insulation, loft insulation (where less than 60mm of loft insulation currently exists) and loft ‘top up’s’ (where more than 60mm but less than 160mm of loft insulation currently exists) are available under the scheme.
• A free, technical survey of the property will confirm that the work will definitely be free and much larger properties or those that need extensive scaffolding may be asked to pay a contribution towards the work.
• The project estimates to help householders made total cumulative savings of £1,653,750 on energy bills based on installing cavity wall insulation in 6,000 homes, laying insulation in over 3,000 empty lofts and ‘topping up’ a further 5,850 lofts.
For media enquiries please contact:
Amanda Burns, Leeds City Council press office (0113) 247 5704
Ellie Lyon, Yorkshire Energy Services marketing team on 01484 352010