High street shopping vouchers are on offer to anyone who recommends a friend to Leeds’ free insulation scheme.
The £20 vouchers will be given to people if a friend or family member they refer to the Wrap Up Leeds team goes on to have loft or cavity wall insulation installed.
People don’t have to have benefitted from the scheme already themselves or even live in Leeds to receive the free gift.
All people have to do is get permission from their friend or family member to pass their details on to the Wrap Up Leeds team. If that person then goes on to have loft or cavity wall insulation installed, the referrer will earn £20 worth of high street shopping vouchers for every successful recommendation.
The free insulation scheme run by Leeds City Council in partnership with Yorkshire Energy Services and EDF Energy is helping Leeds homeowners and people renting privately to tackle rising fuel bills. The Energy Saving Trust estimates people will save up to £300 a year when fully insulating an average three bedroom semi-detached home.
The Wrap Up Leeds offer is available to 15,000 homes until September this year and to make sure as many people as possible contact the team, the refer a friend offer was created by Yorkshire Energy Services.
Wrap Up Leeds project manager for Yorkshire Energy Services, Katie Baker said:
“Word of mouth is one of the fastest and best ways people can find out about this great offer. We can only insulate 15,000 homes so want as many people as possible to spread the word and benefit from doing so too.”
Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment said:
“Unfortunately not all homes are suitable for insulation. With the recommend a friend scheme, we can offer people a little bonus for helping their family or friends save money on fuel bills and cut damaging emissions.”
Councillor David Blackburn, chair of the council’s cross-party environment and climate change working group said:
“Wrap Up Leeds is already a great scheme with multiple benefits. This is an added incentive for people to get in touch.”
£20 worth of shopping vouchers will be paid for each recommendation that results in insulation being installed and there is no limit to how many friends you can refer. Any friends or family members referred will receive a free technical survey to see if they can benefit from home insulation. The vouchers, which can be used in over 100 shops, will only be sent once the property recommended is insulated with at least one measure.
To refer your friend contact Wrap Up Leeds on 0800 052 0071 or email email@example.com with your and your friends contact details, confirming your friend has given permission to pass their details to us.
The 0800 number is free from most landline providers, but may not be free from mobile networks. If you would prefer, please call Wrap Up Leeds on 01484 351 779.
Notes to editors:
About Wrap Up Leeds
• Wrap Up Leeds is run in partnership by Leeds City Council and Yorkshire Energy Services, with funding from EDF Energy.
• Wrap Up Leeds is available to all homeowners and privately renting tenants (where landlord’s permission has been granted) in the Leeds City Council area only.
• Free cavity wall insulation, loft insulation (where less than 60mm of loft insulation currently exists) and loft ‘top up’s’ (where more than 60mm but less than 160mm of loft insulation currently exists) are available under the scheme.
• A free, technical survey of the property will confirm that the work will definitely be free and much larger properties or those that need extensive scaffolding may be asked to pay a contribution towards the work.
• The project estimates to help householders made total cumulative savings of £1,653,750 on energy bills based on installing cavity wall insulation in 6,000 homes, laying insulation in over 3,000 empty lofts and ‘topping up’ a further 5,850 lofts.
For media enquiries please contact:
Amanda Burns, Leeds City Council press office (0113) 395 1577
Ellie Lyon, Yorkshire Energy Services marketing team on (01484) 352010